Trigger point injections are a form of medical treatment used to treat pain and discomfort in muscles that are caused by knots or “trigger points.” Trigger points are areas of muscle that become irritated and inflamed, often due to injury, overuse, or poor posture.
Trigger point injections involve the injection of a medication, usually a local anesthetic or corticosteroid, directly into the affected muscle to help relieve pain and inflammation.
What Are Trigger Point Injections?
Trigger point injections are a minimally invasive medical procedure that involves the injection of medication directly into a trigger point in a muscle. These injections are typically administered by a healthcare professional, such as a doctor or a chiropractor. The medication used in trigger point injections may include local anesthetics, such as lidocaine, or corticosteroids, such as triamcinolone acetonide.
How Do Trigger Point Injections Work?
Trigger point injections work by providing direct and targeted relief to the affected muscle. The medication injected into the trigger point helps to reduce inflammation, which can relieve pain and improve mobility. Additionally, the injection can help to break up the knot in the muscle, which can improve blood flow to the affected area and promote healing.
During the procedure, the healthcare professional will first locate the trigger point by palpating the muscle. Once the trigger point has been identified, the healthcare professional will use a thin needle to inject the medication directly into the trigger point. The procedure typically takes only a few minutes, and patients may experience some mild discomfort during the injection.
Benefits of Trigger Point Injections
Trigger point injections can provide numerous benefits, including:
- Pain Relief: Trigger point injections can help to relieve pain in the affected muscle, reducing discomfort and improving quality of life.
- Improved Mobility: By reducing inflammation and promoting healing, trigger point injections can help to improve mobility and range of motion.
- Minimal Side Effects: Trigger point injections are a minimally invasive treatment that carries a low risk of side effects when administered by a trained healthcare professional.
- Non-Invasive: Unlike more invasive treatments, such as surgery, trigger point injections do not require an incision or general anesthesia, making them a low-risk option for many patients.
- Quick Procedure: Trigger point injections are a relatively quick procedure that can be completed in just a few minutes, allowing patients to return to their normal activities quickly.
Trigger point injections are a safe and effective treatment option for individuals experiencing pain and discomfort in muscles caused by knots or trigger points. By reducing inflammation and promoting healing, trigger point injections can provide targeted relief and improve mobility.
If you are experiencing muscle pain or discomfort, and you would like to learn more about trigger point injections in Bakersfield, Shafter, Arvin, or any nearby city in California, call our medical center today at (661) 669-8158 for a complimentary consultation.