Stem Cell Therapy
Have you heard incredible accounts of stem cells working wonders for someone’s painful condition? If you think stem cell treatment might help you, our team of medical professionals will provide you with all of the facts about the stem cell treatments available to you so that you can make an informed decision.
What is Stem Cell Therapy?
The term “stem cell therapy” is commonly used for any treatment utilizing stem cells, but isn’t exactly right. Stem cell therapy is the correct term only for treatments that use stem cells from the patient’s body (or the body of a close family member). Most commonly, the cells used in stem cell therapy are extracted from the patient’s bone marrow or adipose tissue. There are a few things to consider before receiving these stem cell therapies:
- As the body ages, it’s stem cells lose vitality. Stem cells derived from the patient’s body are the age of the patient, and the older you are, the less effective treatment with your own cells can be.
- Bone marrow cells are extracted in a highly invasive, typically painful procedure in which a hole is drilled into the patient’s hipbone or femur, opening the patient up to the risk of infection and long recovery times.
- Adipose tissue stem cells, while easier to obtain than those found in bone marrow, may be adversely affected by toxins that collect in fatty tissue.
Treatments that contain Stem Cells
Rather than stem cell therapy that uses the patient’s own stem cells, the doctors at our medical center choose to use Wharton's Jelly derived mesenchymal stem cells. These cells come from Wharton’s jelly, a rich jelly found within infants’ umbilical cords. These treatments that contain stem cells utilize Wharton’s jelly-derived mesenchymal stem cells have been shown to contain stem cell concentrations of approximately 80%, which is vastly more than umbilical cord blood treatments that often contain less than 5% stem cell concentrations.
Although mesenchymal stem cells come from outside the patient’s body, the freshness and vibrancy of stem cells from umbilical allografts ensure that there is low chance of rejection. These new cells are welcomed into the body and have an immediate calming effect on inflammation as they start the process of tissue regeneration.
Regenerative Cellular Therapy for Pain
Regenerative injections containing stem cells have proven highly effective for a variety of painful conditions. The treatment causes very little discomfort and is a safe, all-natural way to avoid surgery and medication. Our patients have had remarkable success with stem cells for:
- Knee injuries (e.g., ACL, meniscus, and more)
- Rotator cuff injuries and other shoulder problems such as a torn or partially torn labrum
- Disc problems and most types of back pain
- Elbow pain or pain in other joints
- Hip pain from bursitis, tendonitis, and other causes
- Damaged or degraded cartilage
- Ligament or muscle tears (e.g., MCL tears)
- Foot conditions
In addition to treatments containing stem cells, we offer a range of therapies that our patients frequently combine into a customized care plan.
If you have been thinking about stem cell therapy in Bakersfield, Shafter, Arvin, or any nearby city in California, call our medical center today at (661) 380-7222 for a complimentary consultation to learn more about our procedure and what it may offer you. Our doctors will help you determine the best treatment option for your particular condition.